How to Dispose of Mattress Box Springs
As an owner of a junk removal business, one call we get on a regular basis is from customers asking about how to dispose of mattress box springs. Although just by calling us they have already completed a necessary and useful step in the process of getting rid of these nuisance items, we would still like to give you some tips and steps that help you with this process while also answering some questions you may have. Other sites that have written articles say just “Donate Them” but, unfortunately, it’s not that simple. You see, some places won’t accept used mattresses or box springs so our process will take care of both scenarios.
1. Call a Junk Removal Company – Assuming you are not a do-it-yourself-er and don’t have a large pickup truck, the easiest thing to do is to call a reputable junk hauling company that can take care of the bulky items. Before calling, seek out some reviews on Angie’s List, Google or elsewhere so you can ensure you are letting in screened removers and professionals that will treat you and your property with respect. For example, we pride ourselves on unparalleled customer service and you can easily find testimonials and reviews on us to verify our credibility.
2. Schedule a Pickup – After finding a company that you feel comfortable with, call their scheduling department, or order online, and set up an appointment. A reputable company will give you a time window that they will be there and will call ahead to let you know when they are on their way. These are little things to make the experience better for the customer.
3. Ask if the Box Springs Can Be Donated – More often than not, especially in Indiana, you will not be able to donate these items, nor mattresses. This is the case because second hand mattresses are notorious for passing on second hand bed bugs. So, it is now becoming standard that these items have to be disposed of; worry not, they can, however, be recycled. In Indianapolis, we take them to a recycling center called DAO and are at least able to make the customers happy about the recycling element rather than the mattresses ending up in the dump or landfill.
4. Ask For A Coupon – Not always, but a lot of times, junk removal companies will offer coupons. This will off set the fee associated with the removal and disposal that comes with this service. Our coupon looks something like this:
5. Tell Your Friends – Once the company has given you a coupon, performed the task at hand and provided you with excellent customer service, be sure to tell your friends or family when the time comes. Companies thrive on word of mouth marketing and if they do a good job then they deserve our praise. After all, it’s always a good feeling when you can refer a company that did a good job because you know you are leaving your friend or family member in good hands and you are helping out the company that helped you and gave you a coupon